[meteorite-list] Metal Rich Diogenite

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

<How do the determine the difference
  between a metal
  rich Diogenite and a Diogenite rich Mesosiderite? This
  meteorite looks
  like Vaca Muerta with a abundace of Diogenite?>

Hello Tom and list

   Mike Farmer brought back several kilos of this material
on his last trip to Morocco thinking it was a
mesosiderite. A piece Mike sent to a classifier
confirmed it is not a mesosiderite. Preliminary is that
it is an anomalous metal rich diogenite. The silicate
 material is completely recrystalized.
   I cut some of the material for Mike when he returned
from the last trip and it is very nice including a
couple small ~1-2 mm gem quality green olivine crystals as
well as large inclusions. It also has lots of metal like a
mesosiderite.
   Mike and I will have some of this material available soon when the classification is a bit more nailed down.

Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites
http://www.star-bits.com