[meteorite-list] Mesosiderite and Silicated Irons

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:42 2004

Anne writes:

> I just received a few slices of Mount Padbury and I am surprised to see
> how much it looks like Lueders. I'll have to make sure they stay close to
> their labels. Still, Mount Padbury is a mesosiderite, and Lueders
> is classified a silicated iron. Any comments from the experts?

Hi Anne and List,

The mineral compositions in the silicate inclusions in Lueders, a IAB iron, are
similar to winonaites, i.e. primitive achondritic, whereas silicate fragments in
mesosiderites are similar to eucrites, howardites, and diogenites (crustal
material of an achondrite parent body).

Best regards,

Bernd

To: Impactika_at_aol.com