[meteorite-list] Mirror finish polish on meteorites?

From: Bill Mason <bmason3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

Dear Bob,
        Polishing an Iron is relatively easy. I grind with either
Silicon Carbide or Aluminum oxide. The starting grip size depends on the
surface condition and flatness of the side you plan to polish. If you
have saw cut marks you have to start at 80 grit then 120 - 220
-400-600-1000-then cerium oxide -etch-polish again-etch again-polish
again-when you are happy stop coat with VCI-286 clear coat. If you do
not want to protective top you're your specimen put it in your display
case with one of our emitters.
        I have a polishing shop in my home. I use to grind telescope
mirrors, flats, etc. Now, just rocks.
        Bill Mason