[meteorite-list] NP Article, 09-1886 Meteor Falls in Charleston Bay

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

------=_NextPart_001_001D_01C3367B.1D8BE2D0

Title: Newark Daily Advocate =20
City: Newark, Ohio =20
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1886
Page: 1

A Meteor Falls in Charleston Bay.
CHARLESTON, S. C., Sept. 7. - But few people saw the meteor which fell in=
 the bay here Sunday night. Three or four sailors describe it vividly. Mr=
. E. T. Riddick, correspondent of the New York Star, had a fair view of i=
t, and to a reporter said: "I was on the battery at the time the meteor w=
as seen. My attention was directed to it by a reflection on the water. It=
 was exactly 11:15 p.m. When first discovered it was 275 degrees azimuth =
and 90 degrees elevation. It was in the sky southeast by south and went d=
own diagonally in a westerly direction. At 30 degrees elevation it burst =
into a million pieces. When first seen it was a green color, then it beca=
me yellow with a green tail, and just as it burst, it turned red, nd frag=
ments resembled balls of fire. The meteor looked and acted like a rocket,=
 and appeared to the eye to be thirty or fourty feet across. It was visib=
le about seven seconds. Mr. W. H. McDongal, an artist for the New York Wo=
rld, also saw the meteor and confirms the description of Mr. Riddick.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_001D_01C3367B.1D8BE2D0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Title: Newark Daily Advocate </P> <P>City: Newark, Ohio </P> <P>Dat=
e: Tuesday, September 07, 1886</P> <P>Page: 1</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>A =
Meteor Falls in Charleston Bay.</P> <P>CHARLESTON, S. C., Sept. 7. - But =
[...]
rms the description of Mr. Riddick.</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.M=
eteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite arti=
cles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_001D_01C3367B.1D8BE2D0--