[meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

--------------080908050006060202050504

Hello, Mark, Adam and the list,

it looks also to me, it may be a clearer way to name the new
types honouring names or so. This is a tradition in minerology.
The type can be diogenite - eucrite, but itīs called as Howardite,
or olivine - diogenite as "Bostickite".

Think itīs a good time to create a naming-tradition also for the types
of meteorites now. New types have been found, and if you check
the carbonaceus chondrites, the current tradition to give names
for the babies is not good, CV, CK, CB donīt tell much, and when
weīll have 20 types of CC:s, it will be quite a mess, the letters will
end...in these cases we have to remember, the tradition should stay
the next several hundred years.

I suppose, we could borrow the tradition from mineralogy, the type
can be the composition of the meteorite, but it can be named in a
more clearer way, itīs same thing with the asteroids, it sounds much
nicer to talk about Vesta than A18062003.

We donīt call Alexandrite as beryllium-aluminium-oxide, and today it
would sound funny to do so outside lab. But perhaps people had more
imagination 100 years ago...

just my 2 cents again,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------080908050006060202050504
<head>
</head>
Hello, Mark, Adam and the list,<br>
it looks also to me, it may be a clearer way to name the new<br>
types honouring names or so. This is a tradition in minerology.<br>
The type can be diogenite - eucrite, but it&acute;s called as Howardite,<br>
or olivine - diogenite as "Bostickite". <br>
Think it&acute;s a good time to create a naming-tradition also for the types <br>
of meteorites now. New types have been found, and if you check<br>
the carbonaceus chondrites, the current tradition to give names <br>
for the babies is not good, &nbsp;CV, CK, CB don&acute;t tell much, and when<br>
we&acute;ll have 20 types of CC:s, it will be quite a mess, the letters will<br>
end...in these cases we have to remember, the tradition should stay<br>
the next several hundred years.<br>
I suppose, we could borrow the tradition from mineralogy, the type<br>
can be the composition of the meteorite, but it can be named in a <br>
more clearer way, it&acute;s same thing with the&nbsp; asteroids, it sounds much<br>
nicer to talk about Vesta than A18062003.<br>
We don&acute;t&nbsp; call Alexandrite as beryllium-aluminium-oxide, and today it<br>
would sound funny to do so outside lab. But perhaps people had more<br>
imagination 100 years ago...<br>
just my 2 cents again,<br>
pekka<br>
MARK BOSTICK wrote:<br>
them "Olivine Diogenites" is like calling a Howardite a "Diogenite Eucrite".&nbsp;
It is a the best confusing.</div>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND