[meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

Hello Greg, Adam and All,

I was talking with John Horner, the famous dinosaur digger of Montana once about the naming of dinosaurs. He felt that the name should represent something about the beast rather than the one who found it. An example is instead of T. rex, which seems to me not much of a T. after all. He proposed the name Cretaceous rex since it was from that time period. Or a better example might be his Mayasaur where the name means "good mother lizard" (he can't do much about the saur=lizard part right now, but he did make note that the dinosaur cared for its young.

Therefore, I propose a new paradigm in naming meteorites, one where the name holds information other than that of the type specimen or human interaction. In this case the name I propose is Lowermantleite that indicates where it came from the parent body.

Otherwise, since it was a couple of NWAs that pushed the olivine-dios over the edge into a respectable working group, then NWAite should be the next o
bvious but boring and useless name.

Cheers,

Martin