Fw: [meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

Dear List,

A lot of good suggestions for naming this new group are rolling in and we
are pleased with the turn-out. We thought the NomCom had something to do
with naming of meteorite groups because many submitted description titles
have been changed after NomCom voting when new meteorites were submitted.
One example is NWA 1459 which was submitted as an "Olivine Diogenite" and
was published as "Diogenite, olivine-rich". Only a few scientists ever
heard the term "Olivine Diogenite" before NWA 1459 was announced. It
finally answered the question for some researchers "Where are the pieces
from Vesta's mantle?" It is now widely accepted that these are what they
have been looking for. It is our belief that by incorporating the name
"Diogenite" in the title the true importance of these specimens was lost to
obscurity. The term is so obscure that despite the best efforts of the list
nobody was able to guess the "Mystery Main Mass Contest" even though several
good clues and coaching were given.

We agree that a consensus should be reached before an attempt is made at
naming this group. That is why we are seeking help of the list to come up
with a suitable name. What better time than now since very few papers are
published using the descriptor "Olivine Diogenite"? Before NWA 1459 was
announced you might get three hits when using a search engine. After the
List comes up with a suitable name we will ask researchers, again what they
think before trying to incorporate a new name. The subject has been
discussed with several scientists who feel that a new name would be in order
rather than trying to pigeonhole it into another group. We believe that by
adding another group it will make it clearer in this case rather than
clouding the waters.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection