[meteorite-list] M-V-5 Rocket Successfully Launches Hayabusa (MUSES-C)

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:39 2004

http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/new/release/2003/05_06.html

M-V-5 Successfully Launches Hayabusa
ISAS
May 15, 2003

The M-V-5 rocket carrying MUSES-C (Mu Space Engineering Spacecraft-3)
lifted off successfully from Kagoshima Space Center (KSC) at 13:29:15 on
May 9, 2003. The lift off was smooth and 350sec after launch the rocket
released the 4th stage, which spun into the specified direction. NASA's
Goldstone station received radio signals from MUSES-C 23 minutes later.
>From data transmitted through Deep Space Network (DSN), we confirmed that:
sequences following 4th-stage separation were executed as planned; the
explorer was put into the specified interplanetary orbit; and MUSES-C
functions were normal. The MUSES-C spacecraft was renamed Hayabusa
(Falcon).

The launch was three years and three months after the failed launch of
February 10, 2000. Corrective actions included changing the nozzle-throat
material of each stage from graphite to 3D-CC (3 dimensional carbon-carbon
composite) and static firing tests to verify the changes. We faced a number
of unforeseen problems over the period but managed at last to succeed. The
success is due to the strong will and dedicated efforts of all the people
concerned in for "return to flight" of the M-V rocket. It should also be
noted that we learned many lessons over the period. For example, our
quantitative understanding on phenomena related to solid rockets has
progressed remarkably. Technology for large-scale 3D-CC material
construction and nondestructive testing has also advanced dramatically.

Rocket operation for the flight started on April 21, while work for the
explorer began in mid-March. All the team members held a meeting on April
27. The daily tasks took more time than expected and the team members
worked usually until 8 or 9 p.m. On one particular day, work continued
until 2 a.m. and the experiment team staff were extremely exhausted. In
addition, I had to order the team to perform many arduous tasks, such as: a
round trip to Tokyo to replace a defective part; operation checks from
midnight to dawn; and nightlong work to test radio signals during cloudless
condition. I would like to ask the team's forgiveness for these tough
demands in consideration of the M-V-5's successful launch as scheduled.

The launch was the final one before the integration of three space
agencies. I believe that all M-V rocket launches hereafter will be
successful by efforts of the team, even though the launch-operation scheme
will change within the new organization.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks
to those who supported the launch.