[meteorite-list] 'Meteor' drop-tests, have been done?

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:39 2004

--------------080809020602070805040903

Hello, Bjorn and the list,

we had some speculations last winter in Finland to try some
kind of dropping, but as far as I know, nobody here has tried...;-

We tried to find information about this kind of test, but with
no results. We consulted people from different universities in
Europe, US and Canada, and there was not information available
in this kind of tests in practise.

This far Bjurbole is the only known "trough-ice" case, and the
weight of this beauty was 328 kg:s, so you really need a quite
large and safe area, if you are going to get dropped pieces big
enough to break the ice. Bjurbole made a hole 4,25 meters x
3,5 meters.

Think this can be also quite simply calculated and simulated,
but I´m not a mathematician...

If you know the thickness and the structure of the ice, mass /
size / angle of the falling specimen, this should not be a problem for a
professional. It also should be remembered, if you make this
kind of test somewhere, it´s only valid in exactly same circumstances.

Usually the meteoroids don´t have any cosmic velocity left, when
they drop, so they come down in free fall. The quite simple test is
try to shoot a hole in the ice. Let´s say, you use 9.00 mm bullet and
check the exact angle and the distance from the ice, when shoot, so
the energy of the hit can be exactly calculated. More problematic case
is the structure of the ice. If we are talking about steel-ice in the
middle
of the winter, let´s say, 60 cm:s thick, I bet, the hole you can get, it´s
not deeper than 15 cm:s. The case is different in spring-time, when the
ice with same 60 cm:s thickness is usually layered at least in 2 parts,
strong steel-ice on the bottom, and week ice containing lot of water on
the top. But anyway, think some modelling can be made. This may be
a bit safer way than drop the stones from the plane.

Anyway, if you are going to make this test, please, let me know the results,
and also the dropping-area, so I know to wear a safety-helmet if happen to
be near...;-

take care,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------080809020602070805040903
<head>
</head>
Hello, Bjorn and the list,<br>
we had some speculations last winter in Finland to try some <br>
kind of dropping, but as far as I know, nobody here has tried...;-<br>
We tried to find information about this kind of test, but with <br>
no results. We consulted people from different universities in<br>
Europe, US and Canada, and there was not information available<br>
in this kind of tests in practise.<br>
This far Bjurbole is the only known "trough-ice" case, and the<br>
weight of this beauty was 328 kg:s, so you really need a quite<br>
large and safe area, if you are going to get dropped pieces big<br>
enough to break the ice. &nbsp;Bjurbole made a hole 4,25 meters x<br>
3,5 meters.<br>
Think this can be also quite &nbsp;simply calculated &nbsp;and simulated, <br>
but I&acute;m not a mathematician...<br>
If you know the thickness and the structure of the ice,&nbsp; mass /<br>
size &nbsp;/ angle of the falling specimen, this should not be a problem for a<br>
professional. It also should be remembered, if you make this <br>
kind of test somewhere, it&acute;s only valid in exactly same circumstances.<br>
Usually the meteoroids don&acute;t have any cosmic velocity left, when <br>
they drop, so they come down in free fall. The quite simple test is<br>
try to shoot a hole in the ice. &nbsp;Let&acute;s say, you use 9.00 mm bullet and<br>
check the exact angle and the distance from the ice, when shoot, so <br>
the energy of the hit can be exactly calculated. More problematic case <br>
is the structure of the &nbsp;ice. If we are talking about steel-ice in the middle
of the winter, let&acute;s say, 60 cm:s thick, I bet, the hole you can get, it&acute;s
not deeper than &nbsp;15 cm:s.&nbsp; The case is different in spring-time, when the
ice with same 60 cm:s thickness is usually layered at least in 2 parts, <br>
strong steel-ice on the bottom, and week ice containing lot of water on <br>
the top. But anyway, think some modelling can be made. This may be<br>
a bit safer way than drop the stones from the plane.<br>
Anyway, if you are going to make this test, please, let me know the results,<br>
and also the dropping-area, so I know to wear a safety-helmet if happen to<br>
be near...;-<br>
take care,<br>
pekka<br>
Bj&oslash;rn S&oslash;rheim wrote:<br>
      <pre wrap=""><!----><br></pre>
        <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND