[meteorite-list] Seems PF fell on 3/27 and NOT on 3/26...

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Hello everybody,

I have no doubt that the Park Forest meteorite hit its retardation point
late in its flight at a very low altitude. There is a video out there that
clearly shows it going below the cloud deck. Remember it hit close to
Midnight and came in at an almost perpendicular angle so there was less
atmosphere for it to travel through. Its velocity was not added to that of
the Earth so it entered at a relatively slow speed. Many pieces show no
sign of a secondary fusion crust. Scientist are currently working on the
velocity in which objects were hit. It was clearly traveling faster than
terminal velocity when it impacted the Jones' and the Garzas' residences.
Also a few pieces imbedded themselves up to a foot in the ground. The
Navaros reported that it smelled like fireworks and was still almost too hot
to touch when it penetrated their house. Several witnesses reported seeing
it flash out below the clouds as well.

All the best,

Adam