[meteorite-list] Campo del Cielo meteorites

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Mike,

The Meteoritical Society is not an authority on geographic names. The=20
NomCom does the best it can in approving names for meteorites based on=20
geographic names, but mistakes do get made. We often have to rely on=20
people with local knowledge of the find area (or the submitter of the=20
meteorite to us), and they are not always fully reliable sources.

Our job is to provide a label for each meteorite. We have done that. Now,=
=20
the name of the meteorite is authoritative. Whether Pitino is a proper=20
place-name remains open for discussion.

Jeff

At 02:48 PM 6/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Wow, judge, juror, head of the Meteoritical Society, and God?
>Who died and made you the head honcho? This is my meteorite, it was legally
>aquired in the United States. Chaco or yourself have no claim to it.
>O te puedo escribir en espanol si prefieres?
>The meteorite is named Pitino, there is a place called Pitino, or the
>Meteoritical Society would not have named it that. You seem to be the same
>guy who harrased me two years ago about Campos. There are thousands of
>kilograms of them, so go dig them up or shut up.
>Mike Farmer

 On
> > this matter I have two observations:
> > 1) There is no city or geographic reference with that name in Argentina.
>In
> > that case the proposed name for the meteorite will be Campo del Cielo=
 II.