[meteorite-list] Re: Shirokovsky

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:37 2004

Dear Listees:

With this interesting discourse on Shirokovsky I thought I would re-post a photo I took of my part slice, for the benefit of new List members, or those who perhaps aren't familiar with what this "pallasite" looks like.

http://www.notkin.net/meteorites/shirokovsky.htm

Imagine MY disappointment (and that of "the original" Steve Arnold, IMB). Shirokovsky supposedly fell on our joint birthday -- Feb. 1. We finally had an obtainable birthday meteorite and now it turns out to be a . . . well, whatever it is.

What a gyp!

However, I did enjoy the details, in Laurie's post, of the the dive recovery effort, being -- like Allan Lang, Gregory Wilson, Tony Tomaselli and others -- a diver/meteorite collector.

Regards,

Geoff N.