[meteorite-list] FW: Update - Bodaibo bolide event

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

---------------- Forward Message --------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:55:41 +0400
From: "Andrei Ol'khovatov" <olkhov_at_mail.ru>

Dear Marco and All,

If I understand your question correctly, you are
asking: "why so little data"?
We have a quantative satellite info, which allows to
evaluate the hypothetical meteoroid kinetic energy.
We have a possible infrasonic detection and a few of
witness's accounts.
I can just say that the area is very remote, and hard
(and expensive!) to reach. Anyway, If somebody wants
to spend his money to go to there - I think it is
possible.
But please, pay attention, that in Russia meteorites
belong to a state.
Anyway, this expedition is already the third one The
previous two were conducted by scientists from
Irkutsk, in general - they took snow samples.
They keep silence on results, but I think if they
found something, we would hear in the news. No any
news till now.

One of the problem is that taiga is used to be
devastated by windstorms, forest-fires, etc. So I
think the best thing is to wait for more info.

Best wishes,
Andrei