[meteorite-list] RE: impact area

From: Paul Heinrich <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:35 2004

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:33:57 -0500
docnpat docnpat_at_tri-lakes.net asked:

>Nearby is very possibly a large impact
>crater. I would like to know more about
>impact craters -- structure, characteristics,
>etc. Can any of you give me some advice
>about material to study?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:41:37 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Jackson b0rtz2003_at_yahoo.com replied:

+Books: Rocks From Space by O. Richard Norton
+ Cambridge Encyclopedia Of Meteorites
+ http://www.vftn.org/projects/moschkau/index.htm
+ http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/
+ http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/
+
+ A few things to get you started . . . good luck.
+Impacts are a bear to prove.

I would also recommend looking at:

1. Traces of Catastrophe: A Handbook of Shock-
Metamorphic Effects in Terrestrial Meteorite
Impact Structures by Bevan M. French (1998) at:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/books/CB-954/CB-954.intro.html

2. Koerbel, C., 1997, Impact cratering: the
mineralogical and geochemical evidence. , in
K. S. Johnson and J. A. Campbell, eds., Ames
Structure in Northwest Oklahoma and Similar
Features: origin and Petroleum Production (1995
Symposium): Oklahoma Geological Survey Circular,
no. 100, p. 30-54.

3. Montanari, A., and Koeberl, C., 2000, Impact
Stratigraphy: The Italian Record. Lecture Notes
in Earth Sciences, Springer, 364 pp.

4. Grieve, R. A. F., 1991, Terrestrial impact:
The record in the rocks: Meteoritics, v. 26,
pp. 175-194.

Yours

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA