[meteorite-list] Martian Meteorite on Saturday Night Live

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:35 2004

--part1_178.1bcc2824.2c156742_boundary

Well, I wouldn't put anything past Ben Afleck... maybe that trip to the
asteroid with Bruce Willis addled his brain or something... :-)

Not exactly related to meteorite face carving, but when I was in London
recently I visited the Tate Britain (which houses the Turner paintings, as opposed
to the Tate Modern which has all the trendy, "alternative" stuff) gallery
beside the Thames, and there was an exhibit by an artist who used meteorites in
her work. Or claimed to. What she did, apparently, was heat an iron meteorite in
an oven until it was "red hot" (must have a HECK of an oven!) and then place
it on maps to burn areas of them away, making crisp-edged artificial "craters"
in cities and towns... I *think* the idea was to mimic the destruction of the
said city or town by a meteorite in a "graphical way everyone could
appreciate"... or she could just have been taking the ****, I'm not sure. Either way, a
typical "work" (an A4 sized map with a 1" hole burned into it) was selling
for a LOT of money.

There was a booklet to - also, surprise surprise, extortionately-priced -
giving details of the artist's work, which I'm sure included references to
"red-hot" meteorites being found smoking in fields in the US... "No dear," I
thought, leafing through it with obvious amusement (which didn't go down well with
the museum staff nearby!), "that's Kryptonite you're thinking of..."

Speaking of which, how come when I watch it Smallville is never crawling with
meteorite hunters? Seems there's chunks of kryptonite everywhere - in
streams, fields, walls, caves... each week I expect to see one of our List members in
the background bartering with a farm owner... :-)

Stu

--part1_178.1bcc2824.2c156742_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>Well, I wouldn't put anyt=
hing past Ben Afleck... maybe that trip to the asteroid with Bruce Willis ad=
dled his brain or something... :-)
<BR>
<BR>Not exactly related to meteorite face carving, but when I was in London=20=
recently I visited the Tate Britain (which houses the Turner paintings, as o=
pposed to the Tate Modern which has all the trendy, "alternative" stuff) gal=
lery beside the Thames, and there was an exhibit by an artist who used meteo=
rites in her work. Or claimed to. What she did, apparently, was heat an iron=
 meteorite in an oven until it was "red hot" (must have a HECK of an oven!)=20=
and then place it on maps to burn areas of them away, making crisp-edged art=
ificial "craters" in cities and towns... I *think* the idea was to mimic the=
 destruction of the said city or town by a meteorite in a "graphical way eve=
ryone could appreciate"... or she could just have been taking the ****, I'm=20=
not sure. Either way, a typical "work" (an A4 sized map with a 1" hole burne=
d into it) was selling for a LOT of money.=20
<BR>
<BR>There was a booklet to - also, surprise surprise, extortionately-priced=20=
- giving details of the artist's work, which I'm sure included references to=
 "red-hot" meteorites being found smoking in fields in the US... "No dear,"=20=
I thought, leafing through it with obvious amusement (which didn't go down w=
ell with the museum staff nearby!), "that's Kryptonite you're thinking of...=
"
<BR>
<BR>Speaking of which, how come when I watch it Smallville is never crawling=
 with meteorite hunters? Seems there's chunks of kryptonite everywhere - in=20=
streams, fields, walls, caves... each week I expect to see one of our List m=
embers in the background bartering with a farm owner... :-)
<BR>
<BR>Stu</FONT></HTML>

--part1_178.1bcc2824.2c156742_boundary--