[meteorite-list] Re: Russian samples- Loss Of NASA Work Surfaces At Moon Rock Trial

From: Marcia Swanson <MJSOfArc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

Hello Walter, Steve, and List,
Your post about Apollo 11 memorobelia, reminded me, how on July 16,
1969, I sat in front of the T.V. and watched and listened to that
launch. I was 18 years old, and I remember everyone being glued to the
T.V. My Mom worked down at Great Lakes Naval Base on the old gigantic,
slotted- card fed, IBM computor at E.S.O., and I guess the print-out of
discussion between the astronauts and Cape Kenendy printed out there, so
she came home with news flashes also.
I have a Special Collectors Edition,record album, with full color 8-page
Commemorative Book, called
"Man on the Moon" the Flight of Apollo 11, recorded live at Mission
Control..manned Spacecraft Center, Houstan, Texas, narrated by Roy Neal,
NBC news, famed Spacecaster (produced with official NASA voice tapes and
photgraphs). After reading your post, I remembered I had it, dug it out
and listened, only this time (not like in 1969), I really listened!
Then, I was so focussed on the actual landing, that I wasn't paying that
much attention to facts that Astronauts Armstrong and Aldrin and
Collins, were dicussing about the surface of the moon, the dust cover on
surface, and talk of rocks, and observations. While listening, at one
point, one of the astronauts, clearly said," He had collected about 20
lbs. of rock to bring back". I sure am glad I bought and kept that
Record Album. It was really cool to listen to it now that I have a
better understanding. Thanks for tripping that memory of Apollo 11.,
Walter. My husband and I sat and listened to the whole thing.
Here I am now at age 52, looking at shots from Mars satellites, on my
screen, and the rush is on with different countries, to land on Mars and
gather "posssible proof of life on Mars", now in 2003. Another comment
made by one of the Apollo 11 Astronaut's from the moon was "That
officially it was N.A.S.A's plan to have a man on Mars by the year 2000,
but there were other things on earth needing more attention right then."
Well it looks like they were'nt that far off, huh? Just thought I'd
share a little history with some of the list members that were'nt able,
or around to witness, that momentous occasion.
President Nixon, was in office, and his "Congratulatory" greeting to all
three Astronauts, from Earth to Moon, was recorded also. "That's one
small step for Man..one giant leap for Mankind", Astonaut Neil
Armstrong, First Man on the Moon. Best Regards, Marcie