[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky statement from NomCom

From: Philip R. Burns <pib_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

At 10:29 AM 6/2/2003 -0700, Adam Hupe wrote:
>I am sure scientists have spent enough time on this pseudo meteorite. Too
>bad this time could not have been spent on the real thing as lab time is
>very limited and this kind of testing delays other projects.

Even though Shirokovsky is terrestrial, the question remains, what
geological processes formed it? If it was formed naturally, this is
definitely worth further investigation by geologists.

If Shirokovsky was constructed artificially (i.e., as a purposeful fake),
it would also be interesting to know the production process involved as a
guard against similar fakes in the future.

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
    pib_at_pibburns.com
    http://www.pibburns.com/