[meteorite-list] Dealer Refunds (Ron Hartman)

From: Ron Hartman <RNHARTMA_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:57 2004

OK, I'll put in my 3-cents worth! (Inflation :=)

I, too, vote against the refund unless the buyer has had the item for just a
few days, in which case I would allow a refund simply because someone
changed their mind; and I would do that to establish good-will. But, let
me say the following:

In dealing with the meteorite community since 1963, but to a greater extent
within the last few years, I have to say that in my own personal experience,
I see that we have a very specialized and as a rule well - mannered, nitch
group (compared to others on the outside). Most sellers and almost all
collectors, even when you consider occasional temperamental flare-ups, seem
to be a quite easy-going, agreeable and pleasant group of people to deal
with and transactions go smoothly with only the very least of exceptions.
The "weeds" in the patch are well-known and reputations of dealers are
pretty transparent. I think of this as the "meteorite-world of trade" as
opposed to the "real-world of commerce".

With the establishment of www.membranebox.com three years ago, this
continued as I dealt with dealers and collectors. As we grew we began to
attract corporate and industrial customers. You can not begin to imagine
the problems that crop up dealing with these people. It is unbelievable!
While some are good to deal with, still others are nothing but a pain. It
makes a single customer complaining about a price-drop almost a
non-event...a breath of fresh air...in comparison. (The federal government
is the best. They send you a 15 page purchase order but they follow
procedure to the letter and meet their obligations on time!)

My thoughts.
Anyone who wishes to communicate to me, please do so at info_at_meteorite1.com
as list-posts come to my college office and I am away much of the summer.

Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com
www.membranebox.com

By the way, if anyone missed our 1/2 page membranebox color ad in METEORITE
(current issue) (with the unusual location for the photoshoot) you can find
a link to it on our homepage at www.membranebox.com. Feedback always
appreciated. (Let me see that counter move!!!!) Thanks again for reading
this far, Ron