[meteorite-list] Elma Glass Initial Lab Report

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:10 2004

Dear List Members,

Just a short update to let you know our findings in the Lab today regarding
the Elma material. It essentially is a very fresh basaltic glass not
Obsidian as we had originally thought. This material was quenched very
rapidly in order not to melt all the way through the friable interior
consisting of loosely packed grains.

We have no explanation at this point as to how this material ended up in the
shot-put pit found in little so-called craters. We can not explain how it
embedded itself in a telephone pole, burned a kids thumb, melted an asphalt
sidewalk and dented some aluminum bleachers according to officer Bealert who
investigated the scene. The University of Washington will be interviewing
witnesses in order to get a better handle on this thing and should have a
complete report within a week. Because so much time was spent on this
strange glass we did not have enough time to test the suspected iron find
from this area.

We will update as we find out more.

All the best,

Adam Hupe