[meteorite-list] FWD: The Vitim update

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:09 2004

------------------ Forward Message
--------------------

meteorobs-digest Sunday, July 27 2003
Volume 04 : Number 1193

++++++++++
(meteorobs) re: Vitim event (2)
(meteorobs) The Vitim event, the airplane crash and
more
(meteorobs) The Vitim update
Re: (meteorobs) The Vitim event, the airplane crash
and more

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:41:27 +0200
From: "Marco Langbroek" <marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl>
Subject: (meteorobs) re: Vitim event (2)

With regard to the Vitim "impact" event and possible
causes of the fire damaged trees in the area: below is
a piece of text from Andrei Olkhovatov's June 13
posting to the Meteorobs list, citing the Kosmopoisk
expedition leader V. Chernobrov. These lines have
apparently remained without further attention, but
should they? They are:

"it was the heard by them version about the fact that
immediately after the fall of the meteorite in the
same region suffered catastrophe the aircraft
(according to precise now data, aircraft An-2 has
burned after forced landing in the side from the
epicentre)"

If I understand this correctly, this says there has
been an Antonov aircraft on fire close to the location
with forest fire damage near the day of the Vitim
bolide.

- - Marco