[meteorite-list] re: Vitim event

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

Hello, Marco and the list,

to me there is nothing very special in these pics. The first one looks to
me just as an area after a forest-fire. In Tunguska nearly all trees were
fallen to the same direction, these are just burned trees.

In another pic the fallen trees can be seen, it looks as an ordinary storm-
damage. This kind of small openings in the woods are quite common
also in Finland after the bigger storms. If the wood is different aged or
it has been logged recently, itīs very common, these small openings appears
in the borders of full-aged / logged or younger woods after storms.

Think there is no doubt, the bolide is real, have talked about it with some
locals in the city of Irkutsk. Donīt know personally nobody heard the
explosion, but itīs reported anyway.

take care,

pekka