[meteorite-list] Park Forest Strewn Field

From: Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

--0-540405840-1059145806=:16985

Dear List,

As most of you know, I'm working on a crater-possible area in Southern California. This area, I believe, shows evidence of a complex event characterized by an airbust explosion of a main mass which is "followed in" by what I term as "break up companions"; pieces of the main mass that separated from it PRIOR to the explosion. Any one who has seen the Columbia disaster breakup, or the Peekskill fireball video or any bolide film will recall that such "break up companions" tend to fall behind the main mass as they all continue to push forward along the flight path. This can be for any number of reasons; one can imagine it's a simple matter having to do with the lighter mass vs. atmospheric load of re-entry. Remember going along here that heavier companions will hang closer to the main mass than lighter ones. If one continues to imagine that a main mass and some "break up companions" continue along until suddenly the main mass explodes, then one must consider quite a few things:

1.) The main mass will send an explosive shockwave out omnidirectionally from it's centerpoint which is the endpoint of it's velocity vector.

2.) The break up companions following the main mass will meet this shockwave as they travel forward. It's safe to assume, given the effects of gravity and the previously discussed atmospheric loading, that they will meet the shockwave at or below the velocity vector; thus they will be forced down and to both or one side of the velocity vector.

Following these objects to the ground, one can continue to imagine they will fall in an ellipsoid pattern that appears perpendicular to the velocity vector. These objects will fall either to one or both sides (PF all landed to the right or east of the velocity vector); the heavier objects will naturally be closer to the velocity vector (the PF house penetrators) with the lighter pieces further down and away (the Crete impactors).

I suggest then that the Park Forest "reverse strewn field" is suddenly not so reverse after all. It's really a collection of pre-airburst companions spread down and away from the exploding main mass. The main mass was probably vaporized or whatever was left continued on into Lake Michigan.

Kindest Regards,

Mark

--0-540405840-1059145806=:16985

<DIV>Dear List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As most of you know, I'm working on a crater-possible area in Southern California. This area, I believe, shows evidence of a complex event characterized by an airbust explosion of a main mass which is "followed in" by what I term as "break up companions"; pieces of the main mass that separated from it PRIOR to the explosion. Any one who has seen the Columbia disaster breakup, or the Peekskill fireball video or any bolide film will recall that such "break up companions" tend to fall behind the main mass as they all continue to push forward along the flight path. This can be for any number of reasons; one can imagine it's a simple matter having to do with the lighter mass vs. atmospheric load of re-entry. Remember going along here that heavier companions will hang closer to the main mass than lighter ones. If one continues to imagine that a main mass and some "break up companions" continue along until suddenly the main mass explodes, then one must consider quite a few
 things:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1.) The main mass will send an explosive shockwave out omnidirectionally from it's centerpoint which is the endpoint of it's velocity vector.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>2.) The break up companions following the main mass will meet this shockwave as they travel forward. It's safe to assume, given the effects of gravity and the previously discussed atmospheric loading, that they will meet the shockwave at or below the velocity vector; thus they will be forced down and to both or one side of the velocity vector.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Following these objects to the ground, one can continue to imagine they will fall in an ellipsoid pattern that appears perpendicular to the velocity vector. These objects will fall either to one or both sides (PF all landed to the right or east of the velocity vector); the heavier objects will naturally be closer to the velocity vector (the PF house penetrators) with the lighter pieces further down and away (the Crete impactors).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I suggest then that the Park Forest "reverse strewn field" is suddenly not so reverse after all. It's really a collection of pre-airburst companions spread down and away from the exploding main mass. The main mass was probably vaporized or whatever was left continued on into Lake Michigan.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kindest Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mark</DIV>