[meteorite-list] Mars Meteorite To Wow Crowds In England

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:08 2004

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/content_objectid=13209556_method=full_siteid=50002_headline=-Red-planet-rock-to-wow-crowds-name_page.html

Red planet rock to wow crowds
icBirmingham (Englank)
July 23, 2003

A fist sized chunk of Mars rock will be flown to Birmingham next month amid
tight security to give that other world feel to the city's astronomy week
celebrations.

The piece of Martian meteorite, insured for £25,000, is to be delivered to Soho
House Museum for the Destination Mars exhibition for National Astronomy
Week starting on August 23.

Blasted from the Martian surface following an asteroid collision tens of
thousands of years ago the rock floated in space before it got dragged by the
Earth's gravity and eventually plummeted to the ground in Morocco.

Now owned by an American private collector, its latest journey will see it
transported across the Atlantic and delivered in an unmarked security van to
the museum.

The Planetary Society's Andy Lound, organiser of the exhibition, said:

"We're so excited to have such a large and rare piece of Mars, another world
coming to our exhibition.

"We know it is Martian because the combination of elements and minerals can
only come from there," he added.

The exhibition is timed to coincide with the Mars opposition -as the planet
makes its closest approach to Earth for more than 60,000 years.

Astronomers the world over are pointing their telescopes towards it in eager
anticipation.

Meanwhile dozens of probes, rockets and satellites, including Britain's own
Beagle 2, are winging their way for a historic meeting with the Red Planet.

The exhibition also features models of Mars satellites, videos and displays,
there will be the chance to operate a simulated Mars lander vehicle and a
celebration of Mars culture, from its worship as an ancient god of war to a
legendary 1930s Orson Wells radio dramatisation of War of the Worlds.

Andy said: "We look at all aspects of Mars, from the science and its
possibilities for exploration and colonisation to its cultural impact and even
modern science fiction."

And despite appearances Andy, from Great Barr, will not blast off into orbit to
get a closer look.

Instead he will don his replica Nasa space suit to guide visitors.

neil_elkes_at_mrn.co.uk