[meteorite-list] etching solution

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:07 2004

H List,

My experience with Ferric Chloride as an etchant ..

Ferric Chloride works much better than Nitric in my opinion, and seems
to be more stable too! - I was pretty skeptical at first, about putting
a Chloride chemical onto an 'Iron' but I have tried it many times and it
works well the detail is superb!

Acouple of things to bear in mind..

Make sure the Ferric solution is not too concentrated, and only ever use
the etchant once, then discard.

You must be sure to wash all the ferric off afterwards though .otherwise
it will tarnish and go dull.

Also remember to wash the Iron in Alcohol before you etch (to degrease)
and after you etch to remove water. Then dry in a warm oven.

Wear Gloves ar you will get stained yellow!!!

Just my .2 Euros worth..

Mark Ford