[meteorite-list] Mystery Boom Rattles New York Neighborhoods

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:06 2004

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0714MH16LFJ_boom14_news.shtml

Mystery boom rattles Greece neighborhoods
Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York)
July 14, 2003

A loud sound shook houses in town Sunday morning and sent
some residents scurrying into the street.

However, area fire departments reported that there was nothing
wrong on the ground.

Several area residents in the Ridgewood Road and Benjamin Avenue
area said they heard a house-rocking sound about 10:47 a.m. Sunday.

Calls to two area firehouses turned up no known source of the noise;
no fire calls were received at North Greece fire stations No. 1 and
No. 2.

One fire department member speculated that the noise was a sonic
boom -- which can be generated when a plane travels faster than the
speed of sound (about 742 mph at sea-level) -- and could have been
created by a jet either from the U.S. or Canadian air forces.

No one was available for comment from either agency on Sunday.

The U.S. Coast Guard in Rochester had no information about the source
of the noise.

Neither did the air traffic control supervisor at the Greater
Rochester International Airport.

Carrie Ringland, a member of the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group in
Geneseo, Livingston County, said the noise was not from a jet
involved with Sunday's annual air show.

"We had no jets go by this morning,'' she said. "We had one
scheduled to fly over at 1 o'clock,'' Ringland said.