[meteorite-list] Tatahouine_strewnfield

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:05 2004

--- Impactika_at_aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/16/2003 10:26:37 AM Mountain
> Daylight Time,
> steve_schoner_at_yahoo.com writes:
>

> > So what I would do is find the original center
> > as it realates to the town as it was in 1931, then
> > move out about half a Km and start a circular
> search
> > pattern with that original strewnfield as the
> center.
> >

> There is one problem.
> In 1931 Tatahouine was barely a village. It is now a
> town, a busy dusty
> market town, the last one before the desert. And by
> doing what Steve recommends you
> will find yourself walking thru a lot of people
> courtyards, houses, and
> looking at a lot of asphalt streets.
> Yes, I have been in Tatahouine but I did not look
> for any little green rocks.
> And if you would like to see a panoramic picture of
> the town at sunset, just
> go to this link:
> http://www.impactika.com/tatahouineTUNS.jpg
>
> There is one more important thing in Tatahouine. On
> the south side of the
> town, there is a big modern motel with running
> water, a good restaurant, and most
> important: a large clean swimming pool. :-)
>
> Anne M. Black
> www. IMPACTIKA.com
> IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com
> IMCA #2356

That is the method I have always used in finding
meteorites, and since the town has grown as much as
you say, then the meteorites would still be in the
town or the strewnfield is larger than the town. In
either case, meteorites can be found using this
method, (If the townspeople will allow it) or one can
still go outside of town and try to locate larger
pieces (f the townspeople living in the town will
allow it.

And another possibility comes to my mind... Contact
townspeople about the meteorites and see what they can
find.

Steve Schoner/ams