[meteorite-list] DoD Satellites Detect March 2003 Bolide Over Park Forest

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:04 2004

I wrote:
>>It may be an observing effect depending on whether
>>the fireball was observed from north or south its flight path.

>>Note that the DOD satellite measured the flight path angle at 62 degrees from
>>the horizontal, or 28 degrees from the vertical. That means the meteorite fall
>>was more vertical than horizontal. I think this somewhat vertical flight path
>>may have made judging the flight direction
>>more difficult from the ground, maybe creating an optical illusion effect. It is already
>>well-documented the difficulty in judging the distance to fireballs from a single
>>location. Even if the true flight path was SW to NE as the DOD data indicates, and this
>>would extend the strewnfield out to a larger size along the flight path direction,
>>the near-vertical drop does constrain the size of the strewnfield ellipse.

>>I'm very heavily inclined to believe the DOD satellite measurements are more accurate than
>>the ground observations anyway, because the satellite was designed to accurately
>>record these type of details.

Bob Matson replies:
> I think I can lay to rest any concerns that there was a mistake
> in the DoD report -- the bolide did indeed travel from SSW to
> NNE, and far from contradicting the eyewitness accounts, it is
> in complete agreement with them. You see, with a trajectory
> this steep coupled with the lack of range information (observers
> on the ground can really only measure "apparent" bearing), it
> is not possible to accurately determine the true bearing from
> one observer's viewpoint. For observers south of Chicago, the
> trajectory defined by the DoD report will indeed result in a
> meteor that appears to be headed almost due northwest. To see
> for yourselves, download the following .GIF file that I generated
> with my SkyMap program:
>
> http://members.cox.net/mojave_meteorites/pftrack.gif
>
> The bottom line is that despite the
> 22.5 deg (NNE) true heading, the bolide appears to be heading
> toward azimuth 315, which is due northwest.

Thanks for the plot! I kind of suspected it may have been
an observing effect. Bob Verish pointed out to me that in another
eyewitness case (not Park Forest), a fireball was observed to
be travelling 'up'. This can happen with the right viewing perspective with
a low-angle flight path, even though the fireball is really falling down.

Again, the DOD data indicates the strewnfield is
larger then originally thought, particularly along the true flight path.
I think most of the obvious fragments have been recovered, but people
should now be looking in the less obvious or less accessible areas (ie:
private country clubs). For instance, some of the pieces may have fallen in
soft ground and may be buried, or in areas where there is more vegetation.

Ron Baalke