[meteorite-list] Lunar capture theory

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

--------------050803050403070200070900

Well, if we think the bigger ones of the asteroids (maybe 40.000 - 50.000
alltogether), like Ceres, Pallas, Juno or Vesta etc, we can call them as
"small
planets", if we want, there is not an "exact" mean for this word. When Pluto
was found, scientists argued, was it a planet or not, and then just aggreed,
it is.

The bigger asteroids have same kind of formation with planets like Earth,
the dense nickel-iron core (iron meteorites), intermediate zone of cellular
nickel-iron and silicates (MES, PAL) and outer layer of silicate minerals
(stones). When the asteroids collides, the parts of the core will product
the iron meteorites. We call all these meteorites as differentiated.

In undifferentiated meteorites the forming process has not ever been
"ready",
so they are "mixtures" of the early Solar Nebula or in some cases formed in
later impacts. So the age of the asteroid belt (or most of it) is aprox
same with
the earth. The most primitive material found are C-chondrites, in which
you can
clearly see, the formation process has not even started.

take care,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------050803050403070200070900
<head>
</head>
Well, if we think the bigger ones of the asteroids (maybe 40.000 - 50.000<br>
alltogether), like Ceres, Pallas, Juno or Vesta etc, we can call them as
"small<br>
planets", if we want, there is not an "exact" mean for this word. When Pluto<br>
was found, scientists argued, was it a planet or not, and then just aggreed,<br>
it is.<br>
The bigger asteroids have same kind of formation with planets like Earth,<br>
the dense nickel-iron core (iron meteorites), intermediate zone of cellular<br>
nickel-iron and silicates (MES, PAL) and outer layer of silicate minerals<br>
(stones). When the asteroids collides, the parts of the core will product
the iron meteorites. We call all these meteorites as differentiated.<br>
In undifferentiated meteorites the forming process has not ever been "ready",<br>
so they are "mixtures" of the early Solar Nebula or in some cases formed
in<br>
later impacts. So the age of the asteroid belt (or most of it) is aprox same
with<br>
the earth.&nbsp; The most primitive material found are C-chondrites, in which
you can<br>
clearly see, the formation process has not even started.<br>
take care,<br>
pekka<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:CMcdon0923_at_aol.com">CMcdon0923@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
In a message dated 7/11/03 9:11:22 PM Central Daylight Time, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:pekka.savolainen_at_dlc.fi">pekka.savolainen@dlc.fi</a>
writes:<br>
at the moment it looks to me, the theory, that the asteroid belt was formed
from the material left over, when our solar system was formed, is more recent.
 But if it's truly "left over", how do you account for iron meteorites, which
are (generally?) assumed to be the cores of these "missing" planets....leftover
random junk wouldn't have formed to the mass to generate the thermal activity
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND