[meteorite-list] Olivine Diogenite Naming

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

Dear John and List Members,

There is not much to worry about as far as confusing a real "Olivine
Diogenite" with a standard Diogenite if this is what you are asking. A real
Olivine Diogenite is a Harzburgitic Peridotite not an Orthopyroxenite so any
scientists should be able to distinguish between the two. I only mentioned
the real McCoy thing because somebody was trying to pass off a common
diogenite with an accessory amount of olivine for $500.00 a gram wholesale
claiming it to be a peridotite. Here is a good link describing the real
McCoys which compares the four real "Olivine Diogenites" in existence at
that time, now there is five:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2003/pdf/1502.pdf

Note the ratio chart. This would serve to easily tell the difference. In
my opinion the word "Diogenite" should not be used to describe this rarest
of classes because it is not really a diogenite because it comes from the
mantle. We believe at this point changing the name would add even more
confusion. Hey, this is a history making class, time to celebrate!

All the best,

Adam