[meteorite-list] Olivine Diogenite Naming

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:03 2004

Dear List Members,

We appreciate all of the suggestions regarding the renaming of the
"OlivineDiogenite" group. During this process we learned a great deal about
this subject. Some of the things we learned are that names are adopted,
only come to be recognized with usage, a consensus should be sought and that
the NomCom does not oversee this process. It was naive of us to think we
could pick a name for this new main group by simply having a vote on it. We
would have liked to honor some pioneer in the field of meteoritics but this
would have been out of convention as pointed out by Jeff Grossman. We agree
fully with what he stated and more importantly we learned something from his
comments.

If we were able to pick a name for this new group a Nortonite probably would
have been chosen because of Richard Norton's contributions to meteoritics.
Another good reason is that he asked the all important question "Where are
the pieces representing the mantle of Vesta?" They were there all the time
but lost to obscurity because of a naming convention. One goal that has been
accomplished is that the consensus supports this new main group and the term
"Olivine Diogenite" that was coined some time ago is now well known
throughout the meteoritic community.

History has been made because the consensus agrees this qualifies as a new
main group because there are now five different Olivine Diogenites in
existence. A paper will be written providing a precise definition of what
qualifies a meteorite as an olivine diogenite. In other words a diogenite
with accessory amounts of olivine is not in the spirit of this rarest of
classifications and should not be confused with the real McCoy.

In our opinion and several scientists the HED group can now be called HEDO
to cover this new main class. For the first time in history a new main
group is being accepted and added to the HED designation which remained
unchanged for centuries. Olivine diogenite may not be the best name to use
but it is already widely known and several publications are being written
using this term.

No need to ask anymore about what happened to the specimens relating
toVesta's mantle. They were in hiding under the name "Olivine Diogenite."

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185