[meteorite-list] Origin of the Moon & God

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

--Boundary_(ID_dAm7QmM4jK5GyvKq2LfnFQ)

> Ari kindly wrote:
>=20
> The bottom line is that religion boils down to faith, a word that does n=
ot
> enter the scientific dictionary.
>=20
> Let's keep the witnessing to that of meteorites.
>=20

Hi Ari and All,

Meteorites (as with comets) are intertwined socially with organized (and
unorganized) religions. Many folks get nervous about questions forcing the
intersection of science and religion. To quote Carl Sagan in Steven
Hawking=B9s book =B3A Brief History of Time=B2 when referring to children=B9s
questions about the unknown:

=B3In our society is it still customary for parents and teachers to answer
most of these questions with a shrug, or with an appeal to vaguely recalled
religious precepts. Some are uncomfortable with issues like these, because
they so vividly expose the limitations of human understanding.=B2

I had the pleasure to speak with Dr. Hawking about this a number of years
ago. The more I listened (to his synthesized voice answering my question)
the more I realized that the tangle between God and science is purely a
human issue originating with our quest to understand who, what and where we
are. And the continued lack of information.

I love working with meteorites for this very reason. The more unknowns, the
better. The more the meteorite is alive in culture and history, the better.
The more it confounds science, the better. To me, meteorites are one of the
ultimate play toys for scientific and philosophical thought. Should one get
nervous when God enters the world of meteorites, then know you are in good
company with those who lived in Ensisheim in 1492, and those in Mbale 500
years later.

Cheers,

Martin

--Boundary_(ID_dAm7QmM4jK5GyvKq2LfnFQ)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] Origin of the Moon &amp; God</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Verdana">Ari kindly wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;The bottom line is that religion boils down to faith, a word that does not enter the scientific dictionary.<BR>
<BR>
Let's keep the witnessing to that of meteorites.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
Hi Ari and All,<BR>
<BR>
Meteorites (as with comets) are intertwined socially with organized (and unorganized) religions. Many folks get nervous about questions forcing the intersection of science and religion. To quote Carl Sagan in Steven Hawking&#8217;s book &#8220;A Brief History of Time&#8221; when referring to children&#8217;s questions about the unknown:<BR>
<BR>
&#8220;In our society is it still customary for parents and teachers to answer most of these questions with a shrug, or with an appeal to vaguely recalled religious precepts. Some are uncomfortable with issues like these, because they so vividly expose the limitations of human understanding.&#8221;<BR>
<BR>
I had the pleasure to speak with Dr. Hawking about this a number of years ago. The more I listened (to his synthesized voice answering my question) the more I realized that the tangle between God and science is purely a human issue originating with our quest to understand who, what and where we are. And the continued lack of information.<BR>
<BR>
I love working with meteorites for this very reason. The more unknowns, the better. The more the meteorite is alive in culture and history, the better. The more it confounds science, the better. To me, meteorites are one of the ultimate play toys for scientific and philosophical thought. Should one get nervous when God enters the world of meteorites, then know you are in good company with those who lived in Ensisheim in 1492, and those in Mbale 500 years later.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_dAm7QmM4jK5GyvKq2LfnFQ)--