[meteorite-list] Re: Meteor Showers Reported Over Parts Of North And Central California

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:21:02 2004

The closest scheduled space debris expected to reenter into Earth's
atmosphere was July 7th, so manmade space junk can reasonably be ruled out.

There are no major meteor showers going on right now, though there
are three minor meteor showers that typically occur this time of
year:

Alpha Lyrids : July 9-20
July Phoenicids : July 9-17
Omicron Draconids : July 6-28

So, it is possible that one of these meteor showers are exhibiting
unusually high activity. The other possibility is a one-time entry
of a reasonably large meteoroid. I've just received an email from
someone who reported an explosion was heard, and this increases the
probablity that the object was large enough to survive passage
through the atmosphere down to the surface.

I'll send the report in a separate email message.

Ron Baalke