[meteorite-list] Mocs

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:58 2004

Doin' a l'il Dracula dance and singing "mawks"
in his best Count accent, Rob Wesel wrote:

> For some time a particular Mocs individual has been just beyond arms
> reach. Well today the wait is over, I pried it out of Michael's hands, ...

While I can't come up with an old text on the fall, I can point you to an
historical reference that includes a map of the strewn field, and an
article in MAPS by Ferko T.E. et al. that shows a modified version
of this strewn field map:

KOCH A. (1882) Bericht =FCber den am 3. Februar 1882 stattgefundenen
Meteorsteinfall von Mocs in Siebenb=FCrgen (Sitzungsbericht der Akad.
Wiss.Wien, Math. -naturwiss. Kl. 85, 1882, pp. 116-132).*

* Report on the meteoric stone that fell on February 3, 1882, in Siebenb=FCrgen ...

FERKO T.E. et al. (2000) Exposure history of the Mocs (L6) chondrite:
A study of strewn field samples (MAPS 35-6, 2000, pp. 1215-1227).

> ... 175 grams of pedigreed, fusion crusted
> glory, [that] looks like it fell this afternoon.

Best regards from Bernd, proud owner of a 38.6-gram Mocs individual with
fresh, jet-black, matte fusion crust and its own old museum label (specimen
acquired from David New back in 1988) and a beautiful characteristic thin
section purchased from Russ Kempton in 2000.

To: Nakhladog_at_comcast.net
Cc: Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com