[meteorite-list] VCI's

From: Stephen McMann <stephen_mcmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:20:57 2004

<P>Hello List,</P>
<P>I have a few questions about&nbsp;volatile corrosion inhibitors (VCIs). As a relative newcomer to meteorite collecting I apologize for any niavete.&nbsp;Those people who are tired of rust threads should probably skip this messege now.&nbsp; However, if anybody who has used VCIs wants to field these questions, I would be grateful.</P>
<P>I've gathered a few bits and pieces about VCI from the archives and recent discussions about rusting irons.&nbsp; However, I'm not sure that I have a clear picture about when they are good to use. </P>
<P>Firstly,&nbsp;Has anyone experienced unwanted reactions&nbsp;with any of the following materials</P>
<P>A. The various minerals that are abundant in meteorites that are not irons</P>
<P>B. plastics such as those found in display/storage containers</P>
<P>C. Other coatings (In my case I have wiped a bunch of Sikhotes with a silicone gun cloth)</P>
<P>D. dessicants</P>
<P>E. human health</P>
<P>Secondly, can they be used in very small containers such as plastic cubes that are as small as about 10X10X10 cm?</P>
<P>Finally, does anybody have&nbsp;recommendations about specific product names and suppliers?</P>
<P>Thank you for your time</P>
<P>Stephen McMann</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>