[meteorite-list] Re: Meteors From Comet C/1976 D1

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:30 2004

Hi Sterling and all,
I discovered what happened on the position. In Ron's first note the
complete RA numbers were missing. The meteor shower radiant is at 0
hours, 13 minutes and visible in the far southern constellation of
Tucana. Places like Buenos Aires and other areas of eastern S.
America would get a nice view. (Sounds like a great vacation idea on
the chilly -2 degree morning!)
Southern Africa is at the right latitude but the radiant will be on the
southwestern horizon and dropping out of sight when the shower peaks.
Bob

POSSIBLE NEW METEOR SHOWER

At 21:53 Universal Time on March 1st, the Earth will pass less than 12,000
kilometers from the dust trail of Comet Bradfield (C/1976 D1). This
encounter may generate a series of slow meteors visible to Southern
Hemisphere observers. While it's not possible to estimate an hourly rate,
the meteor's radiant point will be near Beta Tucanae (Right Ascension 0
hours 13 degrees, Declination -64 degrees). Here is a section of our Web
site containing information about observing meteors.