[meteorite-list] OT? NASA & Radioactive Risks

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:29 2004

Regarding the risks from "radioactive debris" as a result of a spacecraft
explosion, I believe that what the article is talking about are the ceramic
fuel cells that power electrical systems on board. These fuel cells DO
contain plutonium, but it has been vitrified and generates power through
heat of decay. These cells are almost indestructible, and if damaged,
fragment into discrete chunks that may be recovered, and even if not
recovered, pose little danger. A rocket of this type once failed, the fuel
cell was recovered from the debris, and on inspection, was found to have
been undamaged and was later reused. This is the same type of cell used to
power CASSINI.

Tracy Latimer