[meteorite-list] Tucson 2003 Photos + Harvey Awards

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:27 2004

Dear Listees:

I returned home a few days ago, after ten most enjoyable days at the Tucson=
 show. This was my sixth show, and my favorite so far. The weather was a=
 little on the chilly side this year, but the 24 cases of wine supplied by=
 Mike Martinez flowed freely and kept the meteorite community warm and in=
 good spirits.

As usual, I was rarely separated from my trusty Nikon, and I've put together=
 an extensive photo gallery which is now ready for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.paleozoic.org/shows/tucson-2003.htm

My co-host, "Arkansas" Steve Arnold of I.M.B, and I would like to extend our=
 sincere thanks to everyone who joined us for the Fourth Annual Meteor=
 Mayhem Birthday Bash and Harvey Awards dinner on February 7, at La Fuente.=
 It was our biggest and best party yet, with over 120 guests in attendance=
 and standing room only at the bar!

Congratulations are in order for the recipients of the 2003 Harvey Awards=
 for outstanding achievement in the field of meteorite collecting. This=
 year's winners were:

- Professor Jim Kriegh, discoverer of the Gold Basin strewn field, received=
 the "Most Gentlemanly Meteorite Hunter" award

- Meteorite scholar David Weir received a well-deserved award for his superb=
 Meteorite Studies reference website

- Steve Schoner was awarded the "Tough As They Come" award for lifetime=
 achievement in the field. Steve is convalescing after a serious illness and=
 his award was graciously accepted by Steve's friend Darryl Pitt. Darryl and=
 the mighty Bob Haag both spoke of Steve's many achievements. We all wish=
 him a complete and rapid recovery.

- Dorothy Norton and O. Richard Norton received the New Writing and Research=
 Award for their wonderful books, "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of=
 Meteorites," and "Rocks from Space"

- Greg and Adam Hup=E9 took home the "Best New Discovery" award for their=
 recovery of NWA 1195 and other rare planetary material

- The lovely Iris Lang received the "Longest-Suffering Meteorite Wife"=
 award, amid some very tough competition : )

A seventh Harvey Award was auctioned off at the end of the presentations=
 (since the Harvey Awards Committee unanimously agreed that the one thing=
 really missing from this year's Tucson show was a meteorite auction). The=
 winning bidder was Mark Bostick. All proceeds from the auction were=
 immediately used to purchase cocktails for the other winners.

The 2003 awards consist of a polished glass cube with a small, complete=
 Toluca iron (in honor of Harvey Nininger's Mexican expedition) affixed to=
 the top. Each award was accompanied by an individual, signed certificate.=
 Steve and I also presented certificates to last year's winners, as we=
 didn't get around to actually making certificates last year. (Art and=
 Kevin, we'll get yours to you).

As always, it was a great pleasure to see so many friends and enthusiasts=
 from around the world, and to attend the parties, auctions, and other=
 social events. I eagerly await the new documentary about the show, which is=
 being produced by John Gwilliam and Bob Holmes. Steve and I were very=
 pleased to be able to participate in this film project.

Just like James Bond . . . the Meteor Mayhem Birthday Bash will return in=
 2004! As always, the judges are open to bribes, corporate kickbacks, and=
 will consider trades for nice fully-crusted stones : )

Regards to all,

Geoff Notkin
www.paleozoic.org

p.s. Extra special congrats to List member Dave Freeman for his first-ever=
 meteorite find!