[meteorite-list] The Wreck of the Columbia

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:24 2004

--0-1582197351-1044296415=:72506

Hi Mark and list,
Mark, you are on solid ground. Rationally speaking, a very good science case can be made for focusing on un-mannded space flight over manned space exploration. Manned space exploration is a romantic passion that serves other human values. We learn more about ourselves in space trying to survive it's challenges. Human experience is an intangible.
     Then any group of people who make a passion of collecting little pieces of space debris found in this location or that fell in that year are overly sentimental, aye? I don't think anyone took ofense to Mark's statement. Just we are defensive about any idea of aborting manned space projects as flawed as it may be. The shuttle is becoming obsolete, the Space Station is a bureacratic boomdoggle. I hope we do decide to go to mars in the foreseerable future and do other great things as well. Perhaps private enterprize may eventual replace goverment support but for now space is so big that it shall take cooperation on a planetary scale to get off the ground. Forgive the pun.
Howard Wu
 Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_yahoo.com> wrote:February 3, 2003

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

It looks like I received a lot of responses to my last
post, which I felt I should reply to. Please, before
I continue, I do "not" wish to be the seed for any
arguments or loud discussions. I only wish the best
for all of you, and this will be my last comment on
this present discussion.

Some of you took only one point and elongated it
quite dramatically. It seems now, after reading
everything, that my thoughts are painted in the wrong
colors, partly due to the previous reason, and partly
due to some poor wording on my part.

I did not definitely say or mean we should not ever
continue space travel. I think we should concentrate
more on unmanned space probes rather than manned
operations.

It was a very sad event, indeed, that seven astronauts
met such sudden deaths, leaving behind their families
who sorely miss them. That sole reason was behind my
original e-mail.

In July of 1999, I too, had a tremendous loss. My
loving mother went to heaven. It was a totally painful
and grievous time, which even now is sad. She did die
doing what she loved doing. She died loving all of
us, my father, brothers and sisters, and my whole
family. She wanted to be the best mom she could be,
and as a result, became quite clearly a model of
virtue. The loss of the astronauts brings the sadness
up again.

Once again, please do not let any of this start a
fight. I do not want to be rude to anyone. What's
more, I am sorry if I did not cover every point that
someone else has made regarding my original post.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

--0-1582197351-1044296415=:72506

<P>Hi Mark and list,
<P>Mark, you are on solid ground. Rationally speaking, a very good science case can be made for focusing on un-mannded space flight over manned space exploration. Manned space exploration is a romantic passion that serves other human values. We learn more about ourselves in space trying to survive it's challenges. Human experience is an intangible.
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Then any group of people who make a passion of collecting little pieces of space debris found in this location or that fell in that year are overly sentimental, aye? I don't think anyone took ofense to Mark's statement. Just we are defensive about any idea of&nbsp;aborting&nbsp;manned&nbsp;space projects as flawed as it may be.&nbsp; The shuttle is becoming obsolete, the Space Station is a bureacratic boomdoggle. I hope we do decide to go to mars in the foreseerable future and do other great things as well. Perhaps private enterprize may eventual replace goverment support but for now space is so big that it shall take cooperation on a planetary scale to get off the ground. Forgive the pun.
<P>Howard Wu
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Mark Fox &lt;unclefireballmtf_at_yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">February 3, 2003<BR><BR>Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!<BR><BR>It looks like I received a lot of responses to my last<BR>post, which I felt I should reply to. Please, before <BR>I continue, I do "not" wish to be the seed for any<BR>arguments or loud discussions. I only wish the best<BR>for all of you, and this will be my last comment on<BR>this present discussion.<BR><BR>Some of you took only one point and elongated it<BR>quite dramatically. It seems now, after reading<BR>everything, that my thoughts are painted in the wrong <BR>colors, partly due to the previous reason, and partly<BR>due to some poor wording on my part.<BR><BR>I did not definitely say or mean we should not ever<BR>continue space travel. I think we should concentrate<BR>more on unmanned space probes rather than manned<BR>operations. <BR><BR>It was a very sad event, indeed, that seven astronauts<BR>met such sudden deaths, leaving behind their families<BR>
who sorely miss them. That sole reason was behind my<BR>original e-mail. <BR><BR>In July of 1999, I too, had a tremendous loss. My <BR>loving mother went to heaven. It was a totally painful<BR>and grievous time, which even now is sad. She did die<BR>doing what she loved doing. She died loving all of <BR>us, my father, brothers and sisters, and my whole<BR>family. She wanted to be the best mom she could be,<BR>and as a result, became quite clearly a model of<BR>virtue. The loss of the astronauts brings the sadness<BR>up again. <BR><BR>Once again, please do not let any of this start a<BR>fight. I do not want to be rude to anyone. What's<BR>more, I am sorry if I did not cover every point that<BR>someone else has made regarding my original post. <BR><BR>Long strewn fields!<BR><BR>Mark Fox<BR>Newaygo, MI USA <BR><BR><BR>__________________________________________________<BR>Do you Yahoo!?<BR>Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.<BR>http://mailplus.yahoo.com<BR><BR>__________________________________
--0-1582197351-1044296415=:72506--