[meteorite-list] Mercury Meteorite? (ad)

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:24 2004

Hi all,
        I did not want to mention this on our day of mourning, so, have
waited past midnight - though no amount of waiting will bring back
what we have all lost.
        In any event, regarding this remarkable material..... a 4mg piece
was the last specimen entered into my auction that will appear in the
catalog. Lest you think 4mg is too small a piece with which to be
concerned, be advised that a TOTAL of only 57mg will EVER be in
private hands. The rest of the 40 grams of TKW of this remarkable
meteorite will stay forever in the two museums (in Russia and Japan)
in which they now permanently reside. Therefore, this piece represents
over 7% of the privately held material. It is Lot #102 HB 33.
        Since it JUST arrived, I will extend the deadline for absentee bids
to Sunday at midnight. So far the LL3.0 has gotten the most "action"
from absentee bidders, but I won't be surprised if this new addition
draws more than a few bids from the absentee crowd, as well.
        Here's hoping one good thing can come from yesterday's tragedy-
perhaps our "leaders" will quadruple the NASA budget - maybe
if we ALL write our respective congressmen & senators....
        Best wishes to all, Michael

       =20

on 1/31/03 6:55 PM, rockgirl_at_twcny.rr.com at rockgirl@twcny.rr.com wrote:

> Lang-Hup=E9 Meteorites have joined forces to acquire the only
> available specimen of NWA 011. This ultra-rare eucrite-like achondrite wa=
> featured in an article by Shinji Inoue in the August 2002 issue of
> "Meteorite" magazine. In his article, Mr. Inoue quotes Dr. Herbert Palme
> who said "Perhaps NWA 011 is a basalt from Mercury."
>=20
> The total known weight of this meteorite is only 40 grams

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
          - Friedrich Nietzsche
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satelite: