[meteorite-list] Re: Neuschwanstein<--First Find Photo and SALE

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:49 2004

Not many list members were aware, but my son and I were on the scene in
April hunting for this meteorite. While the first suspected finds were
actually bitumen/ asphalt --(any expert should be able to distinguish
asphalt from a real meteorite,Duh!) and the discussion drug on and on on
in the list, we quietly sequestered away the main mass and fragments
and am offering list members first selection now that the classification
has been completed. Virtually every piece is fully crusted. It was a
miracle I was able to get it back through customs.

 We are only reporting this now that the 18 month limitation to resend
a contract have fully expired. The farmer who owned the land seemed
bemused that we would offer to by it from him but he happily took our
euros, but he hadn't heard about the meteorite. I guess he was happy to
have it moved out of his way. I felt a little guilty not telling him
the whole story.

I've embargoed this photo long enough. It is the main mass /in situ/
however the coordinates are being withheld pending another recovery
attempt. < http://www.epix.net/~jonee/neu1strewn.jpg>

After the first of the year, we will be offering some of this find
starting at $255 per gram and up, depending on cutting losses and
shrinkage. Please let me know what size you are interested in and we'll
try to cut to order.

Elton