[meteorite-list] eBay ads

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:48 2004

Hullo
As someone who uses this Metlist for eBAy plugging, I am glad that I am not
offending anyone by doing so. I always declare "eBay ad" in the title and
as stated earlier - if you don't like it then just delete - which is what I
do with some listees' contributions anyway!!
I too do not think it is such a good idea to fragment the list by sending
eBay stuff to another list - if I have an auction ending within24 hours or
so then I would like people to know about it rather than rely on someone
going to the Yahoo list.

As for "Galaxy meteorite"... well - an abomination of taste and I think
misleading. If you are a neophyte to the world of meteoritics then this ad
could easily leave you burnt and ignorant and with a bad opinion of (honest)
meteorite dealers. The ranting in his eBay ads should set alarm bells off
but it seems not! I cannot believe that selling such rubbish is helping to
establish a good reputation for other Met dealers who may be tarred with the
same brush after dealing with this person.
I personally think that he should NOT be using the word "meteorite" on any
of his eBay ads. His flippant responses to the neutral and negative
feedbacks show that he really doesn't give a damn about the purchaser of his
pre-infant's school crap!
I see him as a charlatan who can only bring disrepute to the hobby and
business of meteoritics. It is analogous to someone buying a kiddies'
doctor's kit and then insisting he performs a genuine medical exam on you!

A dangerous precedent is being set here.....

just my 0.02g's worth

dave

IMCA #0092