[meteorite-list] Roach Dry Lake

From: Charlie Devine <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:47 2004

Hello Grant, Rob, and list

Grant wrote:

>Your last comment reminded me of this
>book:

>Walter M. Miller's acclaimed SF classic
>A Canticle for Leibowitz opens with the
>accidental excavation of a holy artifact:
>a creased brittle memo scrawled by the
>hand of the blessed Saint Leibowitz, that
>reads: "Pound pastrami, can kraut, six
>bagels--bring home for Emma."

Grant, that is one of my favorite SF novels.
As I recall, it's set in what is Utah today, long after our civilization
has vanished. And the memo is part of the sacred scripture of a
monastic order living in the desert. Deserts and the monastic lifestyle
always attracted me and I enjoy the theme of post apocalyptic worlds in
the SF genre. Some years ago there was a spoof written of
archaeological over-interpretation, the name escapes me, in which a team
of future archaeologists excavate a McDonald's and interpret it as a
religious temple from our times. Serious message: don't assume you
understand the past so well, check your preconceptions at the door.

Rob, be a shame if enough of your meteorite hunting reject piles don't
survive long enough to keep future archaeologists on their toes.
"Astronomical alignments among the stone cairns of Roach Dry Lake." "A
ceremonial cairn complex at Roach Dry Lake." Best of luck finding
meteorites and artifacts ( my 2 favorite collectables ).
Charlie