[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Grand Tour

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

Dear Mark and List Members,

You are not kidding when you say most of the dry lake beds have black and
red volcanic rocks everywhere. We literally had to search through tens of
thousands of these black rocks to find the unreported strewn field. These
dry lake expeditions are not for the faint-of-heart. To be somewhat
successful you have to hike at least 10 miles a day zig-zagging from black
rock to rock. Separating meteorites from the lava stones can cause eye
strain and the cold wind howling through these areas can cause wind burn.
We searched seven dry lake beds, drove over 800 miles and must have hiked at
least a hundred miles to find three stones so an extreme level of patience
is required. In other words, these dry lake finds do not come easy.

All the best,

Adam Hupe