[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Grand Tour

From: Mark Jackson <chaositymeteoritics_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

--0-535034277-1071283568=:9591

Greetings List,

I am back in civilization for a short time to enjoy my birthday, Christmas and a short respite before setting up my meteorite/thunderegg shop at the Quartzite Gem & Mineral Show in AZ. My "team" and I have been touring the southern and central California dry lakes and thier environs, hunting meteorites, fossils, and mineral specimens. Ray "You Have The Right To Remain Silent" Miranda and James "Bloodengutz" Kilbourne are my helpful team members and have signed up to help up my Chaosity Meteoritics organization. Roughly modeled in the non-profit-sell-to-fund-(re)search, Chaosity is just getting under way. We toured Ford, Palen, Silver, Danby, Cadiz, Bristol, Soda, Ivanpah, Roach, Dale, and the East and West Cronise dry lakes during this recent phase. Our plan is to conduct a recycling two year dry lake tour of some 75 lakes in California, Nevada and Utah.

Anyone who's come out here to do this probably knows . . . some of these places are absolutely NOT places one ever wants to hunt meteorites. Most of these lakes are in volcanic hotspots and end up with small pillow lava stones, rounded, either black or rust red, peppered all over the lake surface. Our preferred method of searching these places is on foot with custom made rare-earth magnets dangled from a guy wire handle. Iron ore is prevalently mined near some lakes and serves to cause some havoc with metal detectors. Most of the dry lakes in this region are not currently dry and have soft loamy surface muds covered with thin dry crusts.

We have found three possible meteorites from three locations. One location has a previous find and ours looks like it may be a matching pair to it. Tentative examination by knowledgable folks types it the same classification as the previous find only 2 stages more weathered. What's interesting is that the previous mass and mine are the same weight down to the 10th gram place . . . could be interesting determining the main mass! I'll write more on the escapades of Chaosity in the coming days. For now I want to wish everyone happy holidays and hope to see some of you in Tuscon if I can get free of Quartzite for a few days.

Mark Jackson
Chaosity Meteoritics
chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com

--0-535034277-1071283568=:9591

<DIV>Greetings List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am back in civilization for a short time to enjoy my birthday, Christmas and a short respite before setting up my meteorite/thunderegg shop at the Quartzite Gem &amp; Mineral Show in AZ.&nbsp;My "team" and I have been touring the southern and central California dry lakes and thier environs, hunting meteorites, fossils, and mineral specimens. Ray "You Have The Right To Remain Silent" Miranda and James "Bloodengutz" Kilbourne are my&nbsp;helpful team members and&nbsp;have signed up to help&nbsp;up&nbsp;my Chaosity Meteoritics organization. Roughly modeled in the non-profit-sell-to-fund-(re)search, Chaosity is just getting under way. We toured Ford, Palen, Silver, Danby, Cadiz, Bristol, Soda, Ivanpah, Roach, Dale, and the East and West Cronise dry lakes during this recent phase. Our plan is to&nbsp;conduct&nbsp;a&nbsp;recycling two year dry lake tour&nbsp;of some 75 lakes&nbsp;in California, Nevada and&nbsp;Utah.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyone who's come out here to do this probably knows . . . some of these places are absolutely <STRONG>NOT</STRONG> places one <U><STRONG>ever</STRONG></U> wants to hunt meteorites. Most of these lakes are in volcanic hotspots and end up with small pillow lava stones, rounded, either black or rust red, peppered all over the lake&nbsp;surface. Our preferred method of searching&nbsp;these places is on foot&nbsp;with custom made&nbsp;rare-earth magnets dangled from a guy wire handle. Iron ore is prevalently mined near some lakes and serves to cause some havoc with metal detectors. Most of the dry lakes in this region are not currently dry and have soft&nbsp;loamy surface muds covered with thin dry crusts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have found three possible meteorites from three locations. One location has a previous find and ours looks like it may be a matching pair to it. Tentative examination by knowledgable folks types it the same classification as the previous find only 2 stages more weathered. What's interesting is that the previous mass and mine are the same weight down to the 10th gram place . . . could be interesting determining the main mass! I'll write more on the escapades of Chaosity in the&nbsp;coming days. For now I want to wish everyone happy holidays and hope to see some of you in Tuscon if I can get free of Quartzite for a few days.</DIV><BR><BR><DIV><FONT face="comic sans ms" color=#c00000 size=5><EM>Mark Jackson</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=verdana>Chaosity Meteoritics</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#438059 size=3><A href="mailto:chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com">chaositymeteoritics@yahoo.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-535034277-1071283568=:9591--