[meteorite-list] Plagues, philadelphia, and meteorites

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

I am presently reading a book called "An American Plague: the true and
terrifying story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793", by Jim Murphy. It
describes the progress of yellow fever through Philadelphia in the late
summer and fall of 1793. At the end of one chapter, it tells how George
Washington had to leave the city at the insistence of his wife.

"Two days after the president left [on September 10]... a meteorite fell out
of the morning sky and thudded into Third Street." If this is true, where
does the metorite now reside, and does anyone have any additional
information about it? I find it of interest, not only because it would have
been a documented fall, but also a 'birthday' meteorite for me. If not
true, the writer needs to correct his information.