[meteorite-list] A Blast From Heaven?

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:42 2004

That is correct. Most of Molokai's north side, for example (where Kalaupapa
peninsula is now, the site of the infamous leper colony), was a victim of
one of those huge landslips millions of years ago, and the Hawaiian islands
have a record of big pieces of various islands cracking off and falling into
the sea, generating huge tsunamis. There are marine deposits over 1000'
high on Lanai that are attributed to such an occurrence. There is another
island in the Azores that is being closely watched for just such a
landslide; it has the potential to wipe out most ports in the Atlantic.

Tracy Latimer