[meteorite-list] school project and study topics

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:38 2004

I'm building a list of potential middle and high school meteorite related
study, report, and lab projects. I'll eventually turn it into a resource
web page.
I'd appreciate sincerely if everyone could add everything they can think of
to the list.
Thanks!
-Robert Beauford

Here's a start:

What are chondrules and what is their significance?

How is fusion crust formed? How do meteorites change as they fall? What
forces act on them, and what do those forces do?

Why are meteorites important in understanding our past?

Why are they important to our future, and what are 10 resources exploitable
from asteroids? How could they be recovered and used?

What technologies are neede to make the exploitation of asteroids for their
resources possible? Create a 'roadmap' or plan of research and discovery
that can get us from here to there.

What are the differences between chondrites, achondrites, stony irons, and
irons, and how do they relate to planetary formation?

How old are meteorites? Why are they older than earth rocks and younger
than the galaxy? How do we know their age?

How are meteorites like inexpensive space probes? What have we learned from
them as such?

How do we know where meteorites come from?

What are the pro's and con's to the competing theories of tektite
formations?

Describe the potential threat posed by meteorite impacts, and what we are
doing now, and might do in the future about it?

What is the KT boundary, what is its significance?

How are meteorites identified?

Test for nickel, iron, etc (is it a meteorite?)

Research NWA 482 (etc.), what is an anorthositic impact melt breccia, how do
we know it's lunar?

How do we know Martian meteorites are Martian?