[meteorite-list] Re: A Sign From Above (Sylacauga Meteorite)

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:38 2004

Hi,

    I can't believe I forgot to include Bubbas and crackers and white trash!
Cedar choppers I didn't know about until now. In southern Illinois, all Germans
are called "Dutch," a corruption of Deutsche that arose during World War I as a
polite circumvention. We are nothing if not polite.
    Yes, only Czechs are Bohemians, but not all Czechs are Bohemians, and prior
to 1915, Bohemia was a separate country. I run an antique store and I had a vase
with a portrait of Crown Princess Louisa (for whom the German gunboat in the
Movie The African Queen was named), and it was stamped "Bohemia" on the bottom.
    The person who bought it was excited to find something marked "Bohemia"
because their great-grandparents had come from there when it still was a
separate country. They were from Benld (where the first car-smasher meteorite
fell in 1938) and they were a lot more excited about the vase than if they had
found a spare piece of the meteorite.
    I told them that if they found a heavy dark rock while digging in their
garden, they should call me...

Sterling