[meteorite-list] tektites from Cambodia

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:38 2004

Hello List

I just received a mail from a friend who is on a gem and gold hunting trip
exploring a few countries in South East Asia.=20
As mineral, gem and gold collector myself, I asked him to keep in touch
regularly in case he happens to find some unusual stuff for a fair price.=20
In case, I also explained him what is a meteorite and a tektite, keeping in
mind that he might well find some here and there, especially tektites as all
these countries (Thailand, Cambodia, Viatnam and Philippines) are well
located within the Australasian strewnfield. I also discouraged him to hunt
tektites in Thailand and Vietnam where there are so many to be seen from,
here, in the US and probably all around the world, and that are thus
abundant on the market.=20
But Cambodia is a rather odd place where tektites are not so commonly
stemming from (at least not often seen in collections) so I had some hope=
 there.

Last week he was in Thailand but, while he did find (and neglect) common
tektites, he also did see in a kind of "supermarket" in Bangkok a=
 meteorite...
After inquiry, it was...Tuxtuac!=20
Without spending too much time trying to understand what was a mexican
relatively rare meteorite doing there, its price (about $ 280 for...less
than 10 grams or so) was sufficiently discouraging for us to forget that=
 oddity.
=20
My friend is right now in Pnom Penh and will stay there for another couple
of days before moving to Viatnam for a specific gem hunting party, by next
Friday morning (asian time).=20
He just anounced me by cybermail having found this afternoon in an obscure
shop in the old "downtown", a few sculptures of various objects from
cambodian tektites....
 =20
He first saw there in the window, a few crude, quite "ugly" tektites, (I
guess resembling the common chinese) of about 30 to 60 g or so. Nothing
really attractive, except a certificate (in English and Cambodian -thus
Khmer) that they were well found in Cambodia and precising the exact=
 locality.
 I ordered him to take just 2 or 3 different such tektites for my
collection, basically for the locality and for the label.=20
Nothing really exciting so far but there are more in case some of you there
are willing some...
=20
However, it was not really the purpose of this message to contact you for
that, but in case someone is really interested, yes, I can ask him to return
to that shop and also take a few for you.
Their price is around one euro per gram, which is probably expensive for
what it is, but this is because they consider them as talismans. I beleive
that with a little barguaining and taking more, he could get one $ (USD) per
gram or even a little less, which is better, taking into account the present
auro/dollar rate: 1.20 $ for 1 euro.=20
(Surprisingly, the Cambodians prefer trading in euros, the dollar being less
appreciated, even at the above rate).=20
Contact me off list if you wish my friend to take any of such tektites for
you. He will be back in Europe for about Christmas and will bring all along
with him here so at least the transportation (to Europe) is free.

He found however something slightly more interesting in the same shop,
namely various sculpted objects from tektites and this can perhaps be
condidered a more exotic "memorabilia" for some tektite collectors.=20

At least it is for me as I asked him to take for me 2 little buddhas (one
traditionally smiling with a thick belly, and another, more severe,
elongated, pure khmer art (resembling a little indian art). This is just
from his rough description.
These latter (khmer art, elongated) are all genuine sculptures from Cambodia
(have label) while the thick ones are only from Cambodia if they wear a sash
(scarf) around their belly (without sash, they are of chinese origin).
Rounded buddhas are rare in Cambodia and mine has the sash.

My friend said there were in total 17 of these buddhas available in the
shop, most elongated (khmer). They are not ancient but were manufactured
about 5 to 10 years ago (cambodians seem very honnest for descriptions).=20
These sculptures are also quite primitive and thus far from being perfect
artistically speaking but they overall represent fairly well what they shoud
represent.=20
They weigh from 5 to about 15 g, max. 20 grams, and their price, as
negociated for only 2 of them, would turn around 7 euros/gram as buddha is
the most sacred "object" over there. For more than 10, my friend is feeling
the price could drop to around 5, perhaps even a little less.=20

In the same shop, he also saw 3 bracelets (bangles, arm rings) also made
from Cambodian tektites (with label in Khmer language) of which I ordered
one for me (about 80 to 100 g, for about 2 euros/gram, to be confirmed). The
2 other are available.

Finally he saw also "buddha eyes", sold by pair (2), either oval or rounded,
roughly compact tektite-made cut and highly polished half spheres or
half-egg shaped. About 5 pairs were available, different sizes and shapes.
For one pair (I ordered for me the biggest), 140 grams both, they charged
300 euros.=20
He did not want to take more as this is so very special and customers (other
than locals) for such basically religious objects are very rare.

I just wanted to let you know that, if you wish to acquire some of the above
objects that are left in the shop (tektites, buddhas, bracelets or buddha
eyes), there is here a good and possibly unique opportunity to do so, as my
friend is ready to return there and take more.=20
Just contact me off list and I have another 2 days to ask my friend to
manage for another such purchase.
 I also prefer that you are sure to want these objects and that you are
agreeing to rely on their rough description (unfortunately my friend does
not have on hand any digital camera and the time left is also very short).
You could understand that no returns will be possible and that my friend
does not want to buy such things for a re-sale hare and there, as customers
for this stuff must be very specific (thus only "you" and me....).

I also insist here that neither my friend nor I wish to take any profit from
this offer and that the price will just reflect the real expenses of my
friend. We agreed to just let some of you, crazy tektite collectors as I am,
taking profit of a unique opportunity to acquire such objects, as it is so
easy for my friend to return to the shop and buy more.=20

Note that all this is just my crazy idea for the List and, if nobody is
interested, no way, we are all again happy and you can always perhaps see
some day some of these sculptures in my collection, perhaps in one next
Ensisheim meeting.

If some of you feel they should go for that proposal, let me know SOON
please and we will make specifically later all the other arrangements
(sending the objects from here to you, payment etc).

I hope this offer falls within the scope of the List spirit, otherwise I am
sorry if some consider this just as a commercial ad or alike. Just a trial.

Be happy all,

Cordially,

Zelimir
Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15