[meteorite-list] list topics

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:36 2004

Hi Al,
        Well said.
        Unfortunately, it seems only "the quire" (as in, "You're preaching
to the quire.") seems to hear logic on these matters. All the chest
thumpers, as you so aptly put them, seem to TOTALLY ignore
rationale.
        However, one thing we in the quire CAN do is simply not
respond and go about posting to the list in the manor in which
it was intended.
        Thanks for the reminder.
        Michael

on 8/26/03 6:18 PM, almitt at almitt_at_kconline.com wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Sensible post. I myself could do without list commercials or the petty
> arguments and
> name calling we have sometimes but just as in the real world, the list is not
> perfect.
> If every dealer that is a list member posted one or two ads a week we would
> soon be
> over run with ads and little discussion of meteorites like this list is
> suppose to be
> for. It would be hard to find the meat of the messages rather than all the
> goop that
> would be surrounding the true discussion.
>
> I didn't post list ads for a long time but since my competitors did, I decided
> follow suite. When someone has something interesting then it is good to see an
> announcement about what they have to offer and I have no problem with that at
> all. If
> we all limited ourselves to these posts and go for quality ad posts rather
> than
> quantity then perhaps it would save some bandwidth. I can't believe that
> people like
> to sort through all the garbage surrounding the real messages.
>
> No where in the list rules does it say we can't have ads but rather it says to
> post no
> major ads to the list which we do have all the time. I have included the list
> rules at
> the end of this message (which is off topic as well) and perhaps we all need
> re-read them from time to time before posting. The list can be what ever we
> want it to
> be. Argument Central, Meteorite Sales List, General Off Topic Discussion and
> or
> Meteorite Discussion. It can be known as a friendly list where people will
> post
> questions and not be afraid of attack (nothing wrong with spirited debate as
> long as
> it is done with respect) or a list where people are thumping their chests
> trying to
> make the most noise.
>
> Meteorite collecting is a hobby and as such should be fun. That is what
> hobbies are
> for to be fun. A number of people have been turned off by some of the petty
> arguments
> that go on here. Some have even got out of collecting. No one dealer can be
> everything
> to everybody on the list. Rather I like to look at the players as all having
> special
> features and something to offer in different ways. It is the total of all of
> us here
> that makes it a special place. Why not strive to make the list better with
> each and
> every post. All my best!
>
> --AL
>
> General List Policies

> [...]

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
    Philip K. Dick
--
SUPPORT OUR TROUPS:
http://www.takebackthemedia.com/onearmy.html